Friday 4 July 2014

Best Ever Shortbread

I have decided to call this the "best ever" shortbread because I have tried a lot of different recipes and chopped and changed between different ingredients to get the perfect shortbread. It may seem super simple (which it is) but I found that depending on how much of each ingredient you use and which sugar you use, the end result can differ. I also added a little something extra in the form of vanilla sugar that my Mum happened to randomly pick up last week which proved to be the perfect addition to these biscuits.


Unfortunately, there was a fatality while I was baking these biscuits, my camera fell off the kitchen counter and onto the tiled floor. The lens has gone all funky, and because my camera is a bridge camera, the lens is attached so therein lies the problem. The pictures of the biscuits in the making were taken on my camera, before it's incident but the pictures of the finished product were taken on my phone, hence the horrific quality. If anyone has any recommendations on a good DSLR that isn't too expensive, I would really appreciate it.




You'll notice that I took this opportunity to use my Disneyland Eiffel Tower cookie cutter and also that I then got annoyed with using it so the rest out with a circle cookie cutter instead. In theory, it seemed like a great idea to use my Disneyland souvenir, but it turned out not to be so practical as it is an awkward shape. They did come out looking adorable though and I will definitely be bringing it out for special occasions.


What I would usually do with shortbread, would be dip one side in chocolate or drizzle some melted chocolate over the top. However, we didn't have any chocolate in the house at the time I was baking these. Don't worry though, this problem has been rectified and we are now fully stocked with chocolate. This recipe makes about 20 cookies, depending on what shape you decide to cut them into. Happy baking!

Ingredients:

300g plain flour
150g caster sugar
50g icing sugar
200g butter, softened
1tsp vanilla extract
1tbsp water
4tbsp vanilla sugar/caster sugar, for sprinkling


1. In a large bowl, whisk together the butter, two types of sugar and vanilla extract with an electric mixer. You need to mix this really well, until there's no chunks of butter left. 

2. Gradually sieve the flour into the bowl. Combine together with your hands. 

3. Add in the water and continue to mix together. Wrap in cling-film, place in the fridge for 30 minutes.

4. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. Grease a baking tray or line with parchment paper. 

5. On a floured surface, roll out your dough to be about 1cm thick and then cut into your desired shape.

6. Place on the baking tray. Using a fork prick a few small holes in each biscuit then sprinkle with sugar.

7. Bake for 20 minutes, or until slightly golden. 

8. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack until completely cooled. 





7 comments:

  1. Shortbread is one of the few things I've never tried baking (mainly because there's always plenty on hand courtesy of my gran!). Might have to give it a go soon though :) hope you get the camera situation sorted out soon! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, my Gran isn't too great in the kitchen. :') Thank you, me too! xx

      Delete
  2. I love to bake but never tried shortbread so I've saved this to try soon! Sorry to hear about your camera, I imagine you used some choice words xx

    Meet Me On My Sofa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it. I think it's probably the easiest thing to bake. :) haha, I was actually very good, just wanted to cry xx

      Delete
  3. Hmm these look delicious! I always love how easy it is to make Gisforgingers xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I think they're the most simple thing :) xx

      Delete
  4. Definitely will try this, I'm guilty of making shortbread far too much as it's so simple to make but so tasty at the same time. Once I made passionfruit shortbread and it turned out really delicious :)

    http://vvnightingale.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete