Thursday 12 June 2014

Oreo Cupcakes

Oreo Cupcakes

Before I get into this recipe I must tell you the tale of one of my most disastrous baking endeavours. On Tuesday night, I attempted to make cookie dough brownie cupcakes. They were meant to be a layer of cookie dough and a layer of brownie, they did not turn out that way. The mixture ended up just melting together in the oven and began to boil, in the cupcake cases. It was all very strange and upsetting. The reason I'm saying this is, sometimes people will tell me how they would love to make some of the baked goodies I have made in the past but that they are terrible at baking. I am here today to tell you that at one time, not too long ago I thought the same thing. My opinion has changed in the past year though as I've started baking more, becoming more aware of ingredients as well as picking up tips and tricks along the way. Ì am still constantly making mistakes though and if you're a regular reader you will know that I have no shame in admitting the mistakes that I've made and telling you guys so that you can avoid making the same ones. My point is, don't ever be afraid to give baking a go. If it doesn't turn out right you won't have lost anything, (a part from a few eggs & some butter) if it all goes well then you've got some fabulous baked treats and a massive sense of accomplishment.



Now onto what you all came here for, some delicious oreo cupcakes. My brother's doing exams at the moment and his favourite biscuits are oreos so I thought I would make these for him to help keep his spirits up. However, we all managed to chip in and give him a hand eating them. I used this recipe for reference, best one I found. These cupcakes were amazingly moist and chocolaty due to using dark chocolate to make them. I could have eaten the whole batch myself had someone let me, not all in one sitting though as they were also extremely rich. My icing skills went out the window on this one as I broke my icing gun last week. Sad times and I do apologise. In most recipes, people decided to put an oreo at the end of each cupcake and pour the batter over. Though I really like this idea I didn't have enough oreos to do this with all of the cupcakes. I did try this  technique with a few of the them though.

Oreos


I couldn't remember which cupcakes had the full oreo in them so it was a surprise if we got one. For the majority of cupcakes, I crushed up a little more than half a packet of oreos and mixed them into the batter. Hence why the cupcakes are slightly bumpy in appearance. Cover with some icing and everyone is none the wiser. This recipe makes 20 cupcakes and I would suggest using two packets of oreos if you want to put the full oreo into the cupcake. In case you were wondering, I topped these with buttercream icing, with three crushed oreos added, you can find the recipe for my favourite buttercream icing in this post. Happy baking!


1. In a large bowl, stir together the dark chocolate, cocoa powder and hot water until the chocolate has completed melted. Make sure to chop the chocolate into small pieces so that it's easier to melt. Leave to cool in the fridge for around 10 minutes. 

2. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4 and line your tin with cupcake cases. Place an oreo in the bottom on the cupcake case, if you wish to do so. 

3. Mix together the flour, baking powder and sugar in another large bowl.

4. Remove your chocolate mixture from the fridge and whisk in the vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla extract. 

5. If you decided against putting the full oreo in the end of the cupcake, now is the time to add your crushed oreos to the batter. 

6. Pour the mixture into the cases, filling them to about 3/4 of the way full. 

7. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until a skewer/knife comes out clean. 

8. Ice as desired. As I said above, I used buttercream icing (recipe here) with three crushed oreos added. 







10 comments:

  1. oh yum! how delicious! haha i have the same problem, i looooove to eat the batter when i'm baking! i always end up eating a little too much at one time ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't consider that a problem ;) I was raised to always lick the bowl!

      Delete
  2. They look yummy, good job! Think I'll need to try them out soon :) I love baking, think I'll try my hand at a baking post soon too! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do be sure to tweet me a picture! Yay, you definitely should, I love food x

      Delete
  3. I've had the bubbling mixtures in the oven before lol. The only way is forward, as you bake more you learn a lot more. These looks delicious, I love Oreos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for saying that, it was an awful time. :P They were delicious! :)

      Delete
  4. OH MY GOD, I am soooo hungry after looking at those pics! I'm always looking for new baking ideas, so I think I'll give these a go!

    http://thenediaries.com/

    Lauren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fantastic! Tweet me a picture if you do make them! :) x

      Delete